This study was conducted to evaluate the qualities of mackerel Scomber japonicus sausage prepared with Theragra chalcogramma surimi (TS, A grade), Nemipterus virgatus surimi (NS, A grade) (0, 5, 7, 10%), and 7% NS with starch (0, 1, 2, 3%). The whiteness of the mackerel sausage was significantly increased by adding TS and NS, but that of the NS with starch groups was decreased compared with the control. The hardness increased significantly with the addition of TS, whereas the NS and NS with starch groups showed no considerable differences compared with the control. The gel strength was not significantly different among the mackerel sausage additive groups. In the sensory evaluation, the mackerel sausages containing 5% TS, 7% NS, and 7% NS with 2% starch had the highest overall preference. In conclusion, these results suggest that 5% TS, 7% NS, and 7% NS with 2% starch improve the quality, texture and sensory properties of mackerel sausage.
Cha SH, Jo MR, Lee JS, Lee JH, Ko JY and Jeon YJ. 2009. Preparation and texture characterization of surimi gel using a unmarketable rearing olive flounder. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 42, 109-115.
Choi JD and Choi YJ. 2003. Optimum formulation of starch and non-muscle protein for alkali surimi gel from Jack Mackerel. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 32, 1032-1038.
Chun KH and Yoon WB. 2011. Application of linear programming for the optimization of surimi blending in terms of cost and texture properties. Food Industry and Nutrition 16, 12-16.
Jin SK, Kim IS, Yang MR, Hur IC, Jung HJ, Yang HS and Choi YJ. 2008. Effects of a mixed proportion of Alaska pollack, chicken breast surimi and starch on textural properties of sausage. J Anim Sci & Technol 50, 543-550.
Jin SK, Park JH and Shin DK. 2013. Effects of spent layer crushed breast addition on the quality of the cremi during storage. Korean J Food Sci Ani 33, 251-257. http://dx.do.org/10.5851/kosfa.2013.33.2.251.
Jung WG, Park SM, Lee GH and Lee KT. 1993. Thermally induced gelation of Alaska pollack meat paste. Effects of NaCl and starch on the thermal properties of Alaska pollack meat paste. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 26, 21-25.
KATS (Korean Agency for Technology and Standards). 2009. 'KS H 6013 fish sausage'. 1-10. Retrieved from http://www. standard.go.kr
Kim BG and Choi YJ. 2011. Formulation of surimi and surimibased products with acceptable gelling ability from squid muscle. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 44, 37-44.
Kim KBWR, Jeong DH, Bark SW, Kang BK, Pak WM, Kang JE, Park HM and Ahn DH. 2013. Quality properties and processing optimization of mackerel (Scomber japonicus) sausage. J Korean Soc Food Sci Nutr 42, 1656-1663.
Kwon CS, Oh KS and Lee EH. 1985. Effects of subsidiary materials on the texture of steamed Alaska pollack meat paste. Bull Korea Fish Soc 18, 424-432.
Lee NG. 2000. Textural properties of jumbo squid kamaboko as affected by edible starches. Kor J Fish Aquat Sci 33, 591-596.
Lee NH. 1996. Technology using starch in fish jelly product. Bull Food Technol 9, 94-103.
Lingnert H and Eriksson CE. 1980. Antioxidative maillard reaction products. I. Products from sugars and free amino acids. J Food Proc Preserv 4, 161-172.
Murphy SC, Gilroy D, Kerry JF, Buckley DJ and Kerry JP. 2004. Evaluation of surimi, fat and water content in a low/ no added pork sausage formulation using response surface methodology. Meat Sci 66, 689-701.
Park HS, Park SW and Yang ST. 1998. Quality characteristics of mackerel surimi prepared by alkaline washing under reduced pressure. Korean J Food Sci Technol 30, 1120-1127.
Park JD, Kim JS, Cho YJ, Choi JD and Choi YJ. 2003. Optimum formulation of starch and non-muscle protein for alkali surimi gel from frozen white croake. J Korean Sci Nutr 32, 1026-1031.
Park JW and Morrisey MT. 2000. Manufacturing of surimi from light muscle fish. In: Surimi and surimi seafood. Park JW, ed. Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, U.S.A., 23-58.
Park JW. 2005. Ingredient technology and formulation development. In : Surimi and surimi seafood. 2nd ed. CRC, New York, U.S.A., 649-708.
Shin JH. 2011. Development and characterization of high quality surimi and surimi gel using unmarketable cultured bastard halibut. Ph.D. Thesis, Kyungsung University, Busan, Korea.
Zhang F, Fang L, Wang C, Shi L, Chang T, Yang H and Cui M. 2012. Effects of starches on the textural, rheological, and color properties of surimi-beef gels with microbial transglutaminase. Meat Sci 93, 533-537.