An auxiliary power unit includes a gas generator that produces a flow of gases to drive a free power turbine that directly drives an electric generator. The electric generator is driven by the free power turbine at a desired speed without the use of step down gearing to provide a lighter weight and more cost effective electric power generating system.
1. An auxiliary power unit comprising: a gas generator including a compressor coupled to a first turbine and a combustor creating a flow of gases driving the first turbine;an electric generator for producing electrical energy; anda power turbine coupled to the electric generator and driven by the flow of gases generated by the combustor, the power turbine rotatable independent of the compressor and first turbine. 2. The auxiliary power unit as recited in claim 1, wherein, the first turbine is rotatable at a first speed and the power turbine is rotatable ...
이 특허에 인용된 특허 (11)
- Friedrich Helmut (Bremen DT). Apparatus for starting aircraft engines and for operating auxiliary on-board power generating equipment. USP1976063965673.
- Nguyen,Phuong H.; Sikora,Joseph A.; Campbell,Thomas A.. Automatic control systems for aircraft auxiliary power units, and associated methods. USP2008047364116.
- Thompson,Robert G.. Auxiliary power unit control method and system. USP2008057367193.
- Rodgers Colin (San Diego CA). Auxiliary power unit for use in an aircraft. USP1993085235803.
- Ullyott Richard Raymond Wilson,CAX. Auxiliary power unit system and method of operating an auxiliary power unit. USP2001086278262.
- Faulkner Dennis T. (Rockford IL) Glennon Timothy F. (Rockford IL) Markunas Albert L. (Roscoe IL). Compressor load control for an auxiliary power unit. USP1983014370560.
- Suttie, Peter; Schmidt, Dennis E.; Mehrer, Michael E.; Mack, Tarrence LaMar. Control system for an auxiliary power unit. USP2004086777822.
- Birch Peter H. (Horsham GBX) Ikeyama Takeshi (Brighton GBX) Wearing Anthony D. (Brighton GBX) Norton Mark G. (Hove GBX). Gas turbine engine driven auxiliary electric power unit with turbine speed controlled in response to generator output cu. USP1997065635768.
- Dittmar,Kevin S.; Edmonds,David H.; Schenk,Bjoern; Sheoran,Yogendra Y.. Integrated gearless and nonlubricated auxiliary power unit. USP2007087251942.
- Rodgers Colin (San Diego CA). Multipurpose auxiliary power unit. USP1990044916893.
- Thompson, Robert G.. Turbocharged auxiliary power unit with controlled high speed spool. USP2004056735951.