A method for sealing an exposed surface of a wire bond pad with a material that is capable of preventing a possible chemical attack during electroless deposition of Ni/Au pad metallurgy is provided. Specifically, the present invention provides a method whereby a TiN/Ti or TiN/Al cap is used as a protective coating covering exposed surfaces of a wire bond pad. The TiN/Ti or TiN/Al cap is not affected by alkaline chemistries used in forming the Ni/Au metallization, yet it provides a sufficient electrical pathway connecting the bond pads to the Ni/Au pad m...
What is claimed is: 1. A method for forming a semiconductor structure comprising: providing a structure having at least one wire bond pad in contact with a metal line of an interconnect structure, said at least one wire bond pad having an exposed surface portion that is not protected by a passivation stack; forming a metallic cap on at least the exposed upper surface portion of the wire bond pad, said metallic cap comprises a TiN seed layer with an Al layer atop and is resistant to alkaline attack; performing a clean/pretreatment step on said Al layer; ...
이 특허에 인용된 특허 (15)
- Mei Sheng Zhou SG; Sangki Hong SG; Simon Chooi SG. Aluminum and copper bimetallic bond pad scheme for copper damascene interconnects. USP2002046376353.
- Patel Sunil A. ; Chia Chok J. ; Desai Kishor V.. Apparatus and method for improving ball joints in semiconductor packages. USP2001106306751.
- Uzoh Cyprian E.. Copper wire-bonding pad. USP2001086274935.
- McInerney Edward J. (Milpitas CA) Dornseif E. Ronald (Scotts Valley CA) Zetterquist Norman E. (Santa Cruz CA). Interlayer dielectric process. USP1987094690746.
- De Pauw, Herbert; Vanfleteren, Jan; Zhang, Suixin. Low cost electroless plating process for single chips and wafer parts and products obtained thereof. USP2003046548327.
- Yen Yung-Chau (San Jose CA). Metallization technique for integrated circuit structures. USP1987094696098.
- Lee, David M.; Francomacaro, Arthur S.; Lehtonen, Seppo J.; Charles, Jr., Harry K.. Method for electroless gold plating of conductive traces on printed circuit boards. USP2004056733823.
- Stuart E. Greer. Method of forming copper interconnection utilizing aluminum capping film. USP2002096451681.
- Barr, Alexander L.; Venkatesan, Suresh; Clegg, David B.; Cole, Rebecca G.; Adetutu, Olubunmi; Greer, Stuart E.; Anthony, Brian G.; Venkatraman, Ramnath; Braeckelmann, Gregor; Reber, Douglas M.; Crown. Method of forming semiconductor device including interconnect barrier layers. USP2004036713381.
- Sheng-Hsiung Chen TW; Fan Keng Yang TW. Method of improving pad metal adhesion. USP2002026350667.
- Canaperi Donald F. (Bridgewater CT) Jagannathan Rangarajan (Patterson NY) Krishnan Mahadevaiyer (Hopewell Junction NY). Method of replenishing electroless gold plating baths. USP1997065635253.
- Dobson Christopher David,GBX ; Harris Mark Graeme Martin,GBX ; Buchanan Keith Edward,GBX. Methods of forming a barrier layer. USP2001016174823.
- Uzoh Cyprian E.. Process for forming a copper-containing film. USP2001016180505.
- Patrick W. Tandy. Selectively coating bond pads. USP2002066403457.
- Besser Paul R. ; Cheung Robin W.. Wire bonding CU interconnects. USP2001056239494.
이 특허를 인용한 특허 피인용횟수: 7
- Wang, Ye. Bond pad structure and method of manufacturing the same. USP2016029269678.
- Wang, Ye. Bond pad structure with dual passivation layers. USP2017069691703.
- Drexl, Stefan; Goebel, Thomas; Helneder, Johann; Hommel, Martina; Klein, Wolfgang; Kôrner, Heinrich; Mitchell, Andrea; Schwerd, Markus; Seck, Martin. Integrated connection arrangements. USP2009117619309.
- Chen,Pi Tsung; Lin,Keng Chu; Chang,Hui Lin; Li,Lih Ping; Bao,Tien I; Lu,Yung Cheng; Jang,Syun Ming. Method for improving a semiconductor device delamination resistance. USP2008117456093.
- Kolics, Artur. Methods and materials for anchoring gapfill metals. USP2014118895441.
- Kolics, Artur. Methods and materials for anchoring gapfill metals. USP2016079382627.
- Peng, Goh Han; Yuan, Phang Kah; Alicaya, De Mesa Eduardo. Optical communications device having electrical bond pads that are protected by a protective coating, and a method for applying the protective coating. USP2015079086553.